I love a good mystery, and you probably do too. Check out these from Michael Brooks via New Scientist – it’s almost enough to make you think there is more to this Universe than scientists can understand:
1. Radiation left from the Big Bang is still glowing in the sky – in a mysterious and controversial pattern.
2. Something unseeable and far bigger than anything in the known universe is hauling a group of galaxies towards it at inexplicable speed.
3. Tens of millions of years ago, the average temperature at the poles was 15 or 20 °C. Now let’s talk about climate change!
4. Space probes using Earth’s gravity to get a slingshot speed boost are moving faster than they should. Call in dark matter.
5. The fusion of two distinct evolutionary lines is not supposed to work – but the seas are teeming with chimeras that prove it can.