The power of the Full Moon in Sagittarius on May 27 contains the movement of the planet Uranus into Aries. Uranus changes signs every seven years or so, and it will dip its metaphorical toe into Aries and remain at zero degrees of that sign until mid-August when it will retrograde back into Pisces until 2011, at which time it will begin to face off against Pluto in their exact square confrontation.
Much has been written about the upcoming Uranus/Pluto square, in these pages and elsewhere – when these two planets get together there is a huge force for transformation and radical change.
Uranus is very much at home in Aries: the primal needs of Aries find pure and unfettered expression when Uranus makes its home there. Uranus is a mental planet that brings focus to our ideas of what will make life better. Uranus is an idealist; in the ancient myth he stole his children away from their mother Gaia and imprisoned them in Tartarus because they were monsters. He dislikes messy emotional situations and prefers utopian environments where there is social equality and absolute freedom.
In Aries, Uranus is emancipated from any rules or structures that inhibit its revolutionary new ideas. Aries is the sign of pure instinct and adventure; it tends to be always in motion, unimpeded by fear or caution. In the sign of Aries, Uranus is inventive but also impulsive, and tends to shoot first and aim later. Uranus is known as the planet that can truly “shock and awe,” bringing events that surprise us and change our lives forever, and in Aries its power to bring about sudden reversals is even more pronounced.
Uranus in Aries is filled with ideas for how to make change happen, but lacking respect for Saturnian structure and discipline can find it difficult to put those great ideas into motion. We have seen this oppositional force at work since the fall of 2008 when Saturn and Uranus first opposed each other in the sky, and as Uranus slips into Aries for the first time, it is still within range of that opposition. Uranus resists the practicality of Saturn, but is ultimately supported by Saturnian strong foundations.
On a personal level, the power of Uranus in Aries can also serve to break up blocks that have kept us from being able to move forward in our lives. This may occur in a manner that is disruptive and uncomfortable, but if we allow Uranus to breathe light and life into our awareness we will find it easier to take the necessary steps to find the expansion required to grow.
Uranus was last in Aries from 1927 to 1935. Keywords for Uranus are revolution, independence, technology, innovation, industry, inventions, science. These historical events of that time period changed history forever:
- In 1927, Mao TseTung activated the Communist party in China which is now “considered the initial and decisive step towards the successful application of Mao’s revolutionary theories.” From 1931 to 1934 Mao established the Soviet Republic of China. (Source: )
- In 1927, Stalin expelled Leon Trotsky from the Communist Party of the Soviet Union and instituted the Five Year Plan for National Economic Construction, transforming agricultural Russia into an industrial superpower. This period is now known as the “Stalin Revolution.”(Source: )
- The Big Bang theory (a radical new idea) was proposed by Georges LeMaitre in 1927.
- The film The Jazz Singer, with Al Jolson, was released in 1927 as the first talking motion picture.
- Vatican City was established in 1929 as an independent entity.
- In the US the 1929 stock market crash brought about a national depression and world economic crisis.
- Spain became a republic when King Alfonso XIII was overthrown in 1931.
- The Nazis took power in German in 1932 elections and after the Reichstag fire (commonly assumed to have been set by the Nazis themselves) began the campaign of oppression known as the Nazi Terror.
The events of the late 1930s that led to the Second World War had other astrological implications that are too complicated to visit in this article. But we can see the trend towards revolutionary ideas that create a fever for change during this time period.
So what can we expect during this Uranus in Aries period?
We are living in a time when everything has been supersized. The individual countries in Europe have been amalgated into the European Union, and the same thing has been tried in Africa. A few multinational corporations produce nearly everything consumed on the planet. Uranus in Aries will likely begin to break up the stranglehold these corporations have on societies.
Aries rules warfare and the tools of warfare, and financial astrology Ray Merriman says that Uranus in Aries will likely bring a bubble in arms investments. It is also likely that gun rights will be even more of a focus during this period. If the Uranus/Pluto square brings social chaos and upheaval as many of us expect, the right to bear arms will be seen as an imperative and we may see more and more guns carried in public.
These are interesting times we live in – but all planetary cycles carry with them the potential for spiritual and personal development. Uranus in Aries ultimately is all about personal freedom and liberty, and in our personal lives we will be asked to shed all things that hold us back from liberation.